Saturday 7 May 2011

Day 1 down, 364 to go...

Well, I made it.
My flight left Vancouver today at 4pm, well 4:30 we were off the ground. The plane ride was pretty good. A few bumpy patches, but nothing major at all. I was sitting next to a couple on their 25th anniversary. With 4 kids this is their first holiday in over 22 years without kids along. There was the dullinf sounds of a young toddler crying for a good chunk of the trip. Poor parents, they were trying everthing, but the little guy seemed so tired. I was tired too but with no one rocking me to sleep, I only got about half an hour of sleep.Pls their were so many good movies that I really wanted to see. Did you know you can play video games on your persnal tv? This was a novelty for me, but tetris seemed to challenge me more than I was prepared for. And man, those seats are cramped. I was definitly looking forward to getting off that plane. First overseas flight under my belt, and I feel stronger for the experience. Though I admit it took me by surprise when the plane taxied right along the highway. That was a little odd.
When I got off the plane it seemed like forever till I got the the bagage claim. But I got there and collected all my bags. Very big and very heavy, but I managed. Though I seemed to miss Martijin (the dad) at the gate, but after pasing back and forth I spotted him and off we went to Hilversum. About a half an hour drive from Amsterdam. Martijin and his two oldest children Wessel (pronounced Vessal) 5 years old and Laurien almost 4 years old showed me the way home. I was glad that there seemed to be little awkward silences and I felt comfortable right away. When we got home Patricia (mom) and Lucas (almost 2) were waiting. After a quick tour of the house of over 100 years old I was ready for a nap. It tried not to sleep too long and had lots of chance to visit over dinner.
We had a beautiful bar-b-que outside in the 26 degree heat. Very unusual for this time of year, but I'll take it. The area is beautiful with so many old houses full of character. I will get to go out and explore it more tomorrow, but until then, I am falling asleep just writing this. So that's it for me,

Pictures to come.
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. kelly!!!!!!! You made it! So glad you got there safely and the family has been a good fit so far. I can't wait to see pictures....hint, hint, hint :) But i realize you may need some time to settle in and such.
    how was it meeting the kids? when do you officially start? is it right away or do you have a day or so to get settled?
    thanks for the update and can't wait to hear more!
    -laura

    ReplyDelete